Why are teens putting detergent pods in their mouth?

Why are teens putting detergent pods in their mouth?

A authorities watchdog is expressing concern over the damaging misuse of a laundry detergent. On this newest social media fad, youngsters are placing detergent pods of their mouths in what’s being known as the “Tide Pod Problem.”
Substances within the pods embrace ethanol, hydrogen peroxide and polymers – a highly-toxic mixture of detergent meant to wipe out grime and dirt. Producers have been involved about toddlers mistakenly ingesting them, however now teenagers are popping them on function and posting movies of the outcomes on-line, experiences CBS Information correspondent Anna Werner.
Nineteen-year-old Marc Pagan, who did it on a dare, informed CBS Information he knew higher however did it anyway.
“Lots of people had been simply saying how silly I used to be or how – why would I be keen to try this,” he stated. “Nobody needs to be placing something like that of their mouths, you realize?”
Ann Marie Buerkle, performing chairman of the Shopper Product Security Fee, says ingesting any of the liquid carries a lethal danger.
“That is what began out as a joke on the web and now it is simply gone too far,” Buerkle stated.
The pods are brilliant and colourful and to youngsters they’ll seem like sweet. No less than 10 deaths have been linked to ingesting these pods. Two had been toddlers, eight had been seniors with dementia.
Procter & Gamble, the maker of Tide merchandise, informed CBS Information: “They shouldn’t be performed with… Even when meant as a joke. Security isn’t any laughing matter.”
Greater than 62,000 youngsters underneath the age of six had been uncovered to laundry and dishwasher detergents, between 2013 and 2014.
The subsequent 12 months, Shopper Studies stated it could not suggest detergent packets, citing “the distinctive dangers” whereas urging the “adoption of harder security measures.”
Buerkle says her group has labored with producers to make the packets much less engaging to youngsters.
“Making that laundry packet opaque, much less engaging, much less colourful, lowering the toxicity and the energy of laundry detergent,” Buerkle stated.
The CPSC additionally discovered that aged adults with dementia had been confused by the product and have additionally ingested it. The hazard to little children is so excessive that researchers have advisable the dad and mom of youngsters underneath six years outdated not purchase these in any respect and as an alternative use common detergent solely.

© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.