Again in September, Texas residents Vicki Bergquist and spouse Jeanette LeBlanc had been visiting household in Louisiana. They went crabbing with family and friends on the coast, choosing up a sack of uncooked oysters in a market in Westwego. It wasn’t lengthy after when LeBlanc’s well being quickly declined, CBS affiliate KLFY-TV experiences.
The couple’s buddy Karen Bowers says she and LeBlanc shucked and ate about two dozen uncooked oysters.
“About 36 hours later she began having excessive respiratory misery, had a rash on her legs and every little thing,” Bergquist mentioned.
“An allergic response of kinds, that is what I’d name it. That is what we thought,” Bowers added.
LeBlanc’s situation went from dangerous to worse within the first 48 hours.
Jeanette LeBlanc died after consuming uncooked oysters whereas visiting household and mates on the coast of Louisiana.
Medical doctors informed Jeanette she had vibrio — a probably lethal bacterial an infection.
“It is a flesh-eating micro organism. She had extreme wounds on her legs from that micro organism,” Bergquist mentioned.
Based on the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention, folks can turn into contaminated with vibrio after consuming uncooked or under-cooked shellfish or by exposing open wounds to brackish water.
LeBlanc had been in touch with each. For the following 21 days, she fought for her life.
“I am unable to even think about going by that for 21 days, a lot much less a day. Most individuals do not final,” Bowers mentioned.
LeBlanc was not in a position to get better. She died on October 15th, 2017.
“She was larger than life,” Bergquist mentioned. “She was a fantastic particular person, laughed quite a bit, cherished her household, cherished her dad.”
Now each Bergquist and Bowers are elevating consciousness about vibrio, saying they need they’d have recognized the dangers.
“It we had recognized that the danger was so excessive, I believe she would’ve stopped consuming oysters,” Bergquist mentioned.